Thursday, 17 November 2016

Crisis 2016

Crisis 2016 - Saturday 5th November 2016

This trip is now firmly on my list of annual pilgrimages. The show is a fantastic wargaming festival that draws in people from all over Europe. This is not really the blog for wargaming, see my other blog Little Odo's Grand Days Out for that, although again I have been very lax lately in updating it. Things will improve in the coming months though, I promise.

Anyway, back to the main thrust of this blog entry. The night before the show, after our long car and train journey to Antwerp, No.1 son and I headed into town after dumping our bags at the hotel for a bite to eat. Here are a few shots of Antwerp Cathedral, only a fifteen minute walk from our hotel and the show hangar...




After a quick walk around the town square (and it was quick as it was wet, windy and cold) we found a lovely Argentinian steak house. We had a wonderful meal and I was able to wash it down with a couple of bottles of dark beer. I think it was a Duvel, but cannot remember now. All I can say is though, that it was very tasty and accompanied the steak meal very well.






The evening following the show, we returned to the hangar for the after show party. After yet another fantastic buffet I went onto the beers. First up was a rather tasty Trappist ale. This weighed in at a hefty 9.6% alcohol by volume. Unfortunately I didn't have time to take too many notes about this beer as it was swiftly followed by another.




After the Westmalle Trappist beer I moved onto a beer that I thought would be a little weaker. I chose a bottle of Duvel thinking that it would be a slightly weaker brew (Duvel in the UK is usually around 8.5%) but I was surprised upon reading the label on the side of the bottle that it was 12.6%

I questioned this with my Belgian friends and they laughed and told me that they export the weak stuff to us and keep the good stuff for themselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment