Sunday, 16 October 2016

2000AD - prog 2000

2000AD - Programme 2000 signing - Saturday 1st October 2016

2000AD is my all-time favourite comic. I have read a fair few over the years, but I have pretty much always stuck by this one. I have read several British comics (Wizzard, Tiger, Warlord, Battle, Action and many more) on a week-by-week basis and many American monthlies (mostly Conan as I have never really been a superhero fan - although I have dipped into some stories and collected for a short while on occasion) over the years. However, my mum used to "tidy" my little bedroom on occasion and throw out all my comics to create a bit more floor space, so I have none of them left, except my 2000AD collection.
Prog 2000 - Chris Burnham variant cover

I started reading this comic courtesy of a school friend (JC) from Programme 3. I started buying it from Prog 7 and had it on order from Prog 9. It went through a purple patch during the 8-900's to 1000's where I stopped buying it for 3 or 4 years, but restarted again when it improved greatly and I have been collecting ever since.
Prog 2000 - Cliff Robinson variant cover

Weirdly, I did not start reading it straight away and the collection grew and grew until something had to be done with the stacks of loose comics all aroud the house. I decided to start reading them all again from Prog 1 and store them properly in mylar bags with backing boards in comic boxes. I am currently at around Prog 1275 (Jan '02); all 2000ADs, Judge Dredd Megazines and all other spin-offs have also been read up 'til this date. I still have 14+ years' worth to go!

Prog 2000 - Glen Fabry limited edition cover
So, what has this to do with beer and pubs? Well, I took my usual trip to a London comic shop (Forbidden Planet) for a signing followed by beer and burgers - a standard day out now with comic signings and hopefully future conventions (there is a 40th anniversary of 2000AD celebration event at the Novotel in Hammersmith next February, for which I already have tickets).

After the signing, which for me went very quickly this time due to being almost at the front of the queue, I met MB in the Pillars...

Pillars of Hercules
7 Greek Street, London W1D 4DJ
When I arrived there were only a couple of other people in here, so I had a choice of tables. I decided to grab a window seat and alternately watch the world go by and flip through my new comic purchases whilst I waited for MB to arrive. MB texted me to say that he was nearly there and I jokingly texted back that I would see him soon unless I could see round corners and therefore see him before. The weird thing is, I actually did see him before he arrived in a reflection from a shop window a short way down the street, so in effect I had seen around a corner.

They had their usual good choice of 4 or 5 ales and a good selection of crisps (I was beginning to get hungry and needed something to take the edge off my hunger until we grabbed a burger).

Beers drunk on this visit :

1) Spirit of Kent (4%) - Westerham Brewery, Westerham, Kent - a citrusy, hoppy pale ale
2) Atlantic (4.2%) - Sharp's Brewery, Cornwall - a fruity English pale ale

Number of visits : several

After the pub, we popped round the corner into Soho and grabbed a great burger at the Gourmet Burger Kitchen, before heading off towards the Crobar. We couldn't spend as long in here as last time, but still managed to get a few beers in.

The Crobar
17 Manette St, London W1D 4AS
Although this visit was only until around 7pm, a couple of hours, we managed to get a couple of beers in. The first one was a bit too strong for my liking without food to accompany it, so it was a little difficult for me to get down, although the flavour was not too bad. We followed it up with a bottle of an old favourite, so all turned out nice again.

Beers drunk on this visit :

1) Gamma Ray (5,4%) - Beaver Town Brewery, Tottenham Hale, London - a very fruity, hoppy American Pale Ale
2) Trooper (4.7%) - Robinson's Brewery, Stockport, Greater Manchester - a deep golden strong bitter

Number of visits : 3rd

No comments:

Post a Comment