Sunday, 1 May 2016

Mayday Tipples

Mayday Tipples

I have not been out for a beer in a little while. I missed out on a couple of drinks invites this Thursday just gone; one with my usual real ale drinking buddies at a new pub that has opened in the nearby town of Woolwich (which I would have dearly loved to have visited) and the other was with GW after work in London. I was already booked out for a run, my first since before Christmas due to calf injuries, with my running mates (who also enjoy a beer on occasion), and I do not like to cancel appointments even if something else comes along that I may prefer doing at that moment.

Anyway, to make up for this I got a few beers in from the local supermarket to celebrate May Day. My wife made a fantastic pork roast with all the trimmings and as an accompaniment I drank a bottle of Franziskaner Weissbier.

Looking at the bottle, the brewery has been in existence since 1363, which puts even our longest running brewery, Shepherd Neame (founded 1698, but brewing has occurred on the site since 1573), to shame. The beer is brewed in Munich and adheres to the Bavarian Purity Law of 1516, where the only ingredients in the beer must be barley, hops and water.

I have drunk this beer (5.0%) on several occasions and I love its golden appearance. It is slightly effervescent and throws a great head when poured. It is slightly sour (read citrusy), but I like this flavour anyway, and the wheat and yeast does come through too.

I am off to the Bavarian Beerhuse again with a bunch of mates on Tuesday 10th May, so I am looking forward to some more Erdinger Weissbier and maybe a pork knuckle - their speciality. We should also be discussing our next foray to the Oktoberfest - we have the hotel booked but flights are proving a problem at the moment. I am sure we will get them sorted before we go though.

No comments:

Post a Comment