Saturday, 14 May 2016

Beers on Free Comic Book Day

Free Comic Book Day - 7th May 2016

Today I was granted a full day pass from Mrs. Odo so I spent the day "up town". I visited the Free Comic Book Day at Orbital Comics where I was able to get a signed 2000AD FCBD 2016 comic in US format for my collection and an unsigned of the same comic to read. I was also able to pick up several other free comics from both Orbital and Forbidden Planet.

After satiating my comic book hunger, I found I was rather famished. So, discount voucher in hand, I visited the Gourmet Burger Kitchen in Frith Street. I had a great "Taxidriver" burger with chunky, skin-on fries as a side, washed down with a peanut butter milk shake. It is a little pricey but very tasty. I think out of all the current UK burger chains I am aware of (and tried), Byron comes out on top for me.

I still had half an hour to kill before going to visit the Crobar (it openened at 4pm), so I wandered around looking for another pub to relax in. I didn't wander too far before I found a pub I have not been in for many, many years.

The Pillars of Hercules
7 Greek St, London W1D 4DF
I forgot that this pub plays some great rock tracks as background noise. I actually ended up staying in here a bit longer than the half-an-hour I initially envisaged, nursing my drink whilst watching the world go by. They had five ales on tap (but six pumps), and a great top shelf. I will most definitely be heading back here again. In fact, see later post, I suggested this to my rugby mates who I usually visit the Bavarian Beerhouse with.

Beers drunk on this visit:

1) Hercules Ale (4.2%) - Shepherd Neame, Fabersham, Kent - a strong but tasty session bitter

Number of visits : 1st / several previous


The Crobar
17 Manette St, London W1D 4AS
I am on a real rock revival these days, so when I planned to visit the comic show, I wanted to check out a rock bar in London for future visits. I decided on the Crobar after several internet searches. I was not disappointed. Even at just after 5pm, the music was pumping; loads of rock anthems from every era. There were only a couple of minor quibbles; the toilets are gross, I mean really gross, and the beers on offer are all bottled only , but at a reasonable price considering it is central London.

I managed to grab a corner table so I could people watch, but wound up chatting to a lovely American couple from Boston. We passed a good hour and a bit chatting about London town and the state of heavy rock music these days.

Beers drunk on this visit :

1) Hop on or Die (6.8%) - DOA Brewery, Mexico - a VERY strong IPA
Number of visits : 1st

I was due to meet a few of my friends at the Bexley Beer Festival at Dartfordians Rugby Club later on in the evening, but on arrival at the club I found that the beer tent was closed; they had sold out earlier that day.

I quickly conferred with MB who arrived shortly after I had and contacted NW who was still on his way to meet us at the Railway Tavern in Bexley Village. I had seen a new chalkboard sign outside the pub earlier that day whilst on my way to the train station that mentioned that they now had a slection of real ales on tap.

The Railway Tavern
38 Bexley High St, Bexley, Greater London DA5 1AH
We all arrived within a few minutes of each other and grabbed a table by the window. They had a fairly good selection of beers on tap, as well as the usual mass produced stuff, including the new Guinness ale. I have to admit that I did not really like this beer. It tasted like it contained artificial sweeteners like those found in many soft drinks/squashes that can be bought from the supermarket. I cannot see this beer tempting lager drinkers over from the dark side. The Bexley ales though were a different kettle of fish and several pints of these went down very smoothly throughout the evening.

The evening's entertainment left a heck of a lot to be desired unfortunately. Normally I am all for live music (I have been to hundreds of concerts and countless other live musical events over the years; my father and I have played in many bands between us) but the three acts consisted of two solo artists and a duo. There was no depth to their sound (like there would have been with a full band) and the songs they sang and played were rather poorly rendered.

Beers drunk on this visit :
1) Golden Acre (4.0%) - Bexley Brewery, Erith, Kent - a great session golden ale
2) BOB (4.2%) - Bexley Brewery, Erith, Kent - an easy to drink pale ale
3) Golden Ale (4.5%) - Guinness Brewery, Dublin, Ireland - a saccharine flavoured attempt to lure lager drinkers to sample ale


 
Number of visits : 1st / several previous

No comments:

Post a Comment