Friday, 18 March 2016

Wetherspoon's International Beer Festival : Mar 11 to Mar 27

The Furze Wren - Thursday 17th March 2016

Broadway Sq, 6 Market Place, Bexleyheath, Kent, DA6 7DY

I try to attend this beer festival at least once during the two occasions it occurs every year. This time round I literally only spotted it was on by noticing a sandwich board advertising it as I passed The Wrong Un (the Wetherspoons closest to my home) last week. However, as previously mentioned I prefer the ambience in the Furze Wren, so I called up my regular drinking buddy MB to see if he was available to join me for a sampling session. He said he could make this Thursday so all was set for a great evening of beer, curry and chat.

The good thing about Wetherspoons pubs is that they offer themed meal deals on certain days of the week. Thursday is our favourite day due to the nice curries on offer. MB and I used to frequent this pub most Thursdays around this time last year whilst I was between work contracts to sample the curries and beer on offer. This time round I went for my favourite Flaming Dragon whilst MB went for the Madras. For £7.49, a curry and a decent ale spells reasonably good value to me and always goes down well.

Tonight was also a special night for Irish communities around the world in the form of St Patrick's Day, and the Furze saw a couple of groups of youngsters celebrating this special occasion. It certainly added to the atmosphere in the pub with Tam O'Shanters and tricolors proudly displayed. There would most certainly have been some hang-overs the following morning.

Beers drunk on this visit:
1) Vienna Red (4.1%) - Caledonian Brewery, Edinburgh, Scotland - a sweet tasting amber session ale
2) British Bulldog (4.1%) - Westerham Brewery, Westerham, Kent - a rich full bodied bitter
3) Amsterdam Blonde (5.5%) - Banks's Brewery, Wolverhampton under licence from Brouwerij 'T Ij, Amsterdam, Netherlands - a fresh, fruity, strong blonde ale
4) JDW Irish Red (4.5%) - Everards Brewery, Leicester under licence from Carlow Brewing, County Carlow, Ireland - a deep red ale that has an unusual flavour (even the land lady mentioned it may not be for all palates)


Visits : dozens

No comments:

Post a Comment