Tuesday, 16 February 2016

A Haka outside the Bavarian Beerhouse

MB, SH and I decided to return to the Tower Hill Bavarian Beerhouse. I booked the table a few weeks in advance as I have heard (and seen) that it can get quite busy on a Friday Night. Unfortunately, some of SH's friends/neighbours had a few personal problems that meant he could not make it. So, I left work nice and early to get to our destination for 5pm.

The Cheshire Cheese - 5th February 2016
 
48 Crutched Friars, Tower Hill, London EC3N 2AP

(Un)fortunately I got to my destination too early and had around forty minutes to kill before our table became available. So I looked around for a pub to grab a swift half in before the main event.

This area of London is a bit off the beaten track for me usually, so I wanted to try somewhere to add to my tick list. The Cheshire Cheese wasn't a bad choice. It is definitely a pub for after work drinking judging by the suits in there. However, the TV screens all around and good choice of beer points towards a good bar to visit to watch the rugby - maybe I will suggest this another day for a meet up with my rugby chums.

Beers drunk on this visit :

1) Haka (5.2%) - Slater's Brewery, Stafford, Staffordshire - A strong, golden New Zealand Pale Ale

Number of visits : 1st

The Bavarian Beerhouse

9 Crutched Friars, London EC3N 2AU
I still arrived quite early at the Beerhaus, so I ordered up a pretzel and a half-litre of Erdinger Weissbier to sip whilst I waited for MB to arrive. I taunted SH with a photo of my freshly poured drink from my phone camera and read my latest book on the Kindle.

MB arrived a little later than expected due to the trains but he soon caught me up. We were going to have the full monty of a three course meal but the beer and chat took over. As we had spare spaces at our table and the place was packed, we offered our company to three young couples throughout the evening. We chatted to each in turn to be pleasant but mostly they had their own conversations to have. That said, we were treated to a vodka and sherbet shot by one couple from the East End and now Essex. This was a new experience for me; I have had schnapps and tequila slammers but I have never really slammed vodka. I necked the packet of strawberry sherbet and followed it swiftly with the vodka. It was a pleasant sensation that made a nice change from the beer. I doubt I would want more than one in an evening though.

Lina, our waitress, kept us well plied with Erdinger Weissbier throughout the evening but we only ordered the starter for our meal. I must admit though to being bloated on beer, so had no room for the Jaegerschnitzel I was going to order - maybe next time?

Beers drunk on this visit :
1) Weissbier (5.2%) - Erdinger Brewery, Erding, Germany - Cloudy, citrusy with a white fluffy head

Number of visits : 3rd at this location

No comments:

Post a Comment