Monday, 14 December 2015

The White Horse

The White Horse - Thursday 10th December 2015


20-22 Peckham Rye, London SE15 4JR

It was raining, it was pouring and this old man really should have been snoring, but a meet up with RM one of my RPG buddies was something I had been looking forward to for quite a few weeks.

Ordinarily we just met up every Wednesday at the gaming club, but as games of interest have been a bit on the rare side recently we decided to go out and just grab a beer and have a natter. We had a great chat about gaming and a great variety of matters life and family.

Unfortunately one of the beers (Dark Star - a long time favoured beer) was off (the barrel was empty just as I ordered my first pint of it), so I was limited to just two ales to choose from. RM is a cider drinker and he was catered for with a couple of choices, but he stuck with Aspalls on tap.

The pub is much bigger than one would gather from the external view. It consists of a main public bar and a huge dining area out back. We sat in the public bar, which had a pool table partitioned off to one side. It was quite lively in there considering it was mid-week ish - evey table and stool at the bar was full and there were several gentlemen stood at the bar propping it up with ales in hand. The bar staff were very friendly and helpful, bringing one of my pints over to the table for me after ot was ordered.

Peckham Rye is not a place I have ever really visited before. I have passed through on the train on the way to work for several years, but I am glad RM decided on this little (big?) gem of a pub.

Beers drunk on this visit :

1) Best Bitter (3.5%) - Ringwood Brewery, Ringwood, Hampshire - a tangy, hoppy session bitter
2) Wandle (3.8%) - Sambrook Brewery, Battersea, London - a great session amber ale

Visits: 1st


No comments:

Post a Comment