Saturday, 26 December 2015

The Penny Farthing

The Penny Farthing - Saturday 19th December 2015

3 Waterside, Dartford DA1 4JJ

The Christmas season is upon us, so I will hopefully be popping out a few more times over the next couple of weeks. First up is another micropub in my immediate vicinity - The Penny Farthing. I have only visited this once before and enjoyed it in there very much. So, when my running mates asked where we should go for a beer I suggested the Penny Farthing as NW has been there before and CM likes micropubs. As it was ourturn to head down NW's way it turned out to be a good choice with everyone.

I arrived nice and early to grab a table but the pub was full when I got there. I ordered a pint and stepped outside to sit at one of the tables overlooking the green and the river Cray. A couple of small parties of lads turned up and I had a chat with them about beer and pubs until NW arrived. As luck would have it, as soon as he ordered a beer a table of revellers finished up their pints and left. We quickly grabbed their table and saw the night out over a few beers when the rest arrived.

Whilst supping our ales and having a great catch-up we were visited by an itinerant tradesman who sold me a bag of licorice allsorts which I shared. The next round saw us sharing some bags of nuts and crisps and as the evening panned out, the landlady gave us some salted nibbles with our drinks.

This pub is great for atmosphere, choice of beers on offer and great customer service.

Beers drunk on this visit :

1) Shuffled Deck (3.8%) - Black Jack Micro-brewery, Manchester - a hoppy golden ale
2) Sergeant Pepper (4.2%) - Mighty Oak,
3) Seasider (4.3%) - Gadds' Ramsgate Brewery, Broadstairs, Kent - an amber ale
4) Glacier Ice (4.9%) - Cottage Brewing, Lovington, Somerset - a strong IPA


I could not find a graphic for the Glacier Ice - even on the brewery site.

Visits: 1st / 1 previous

The Crayford Arms

37 Crayford High St, Dartford DA1 4HH

We left the Penny Farthing at closing time but still wanted another beer. We wandered up the hill to the Crayford Arms, a pub I have not been in for maybe 25 years. There is a small choice of real ale in here, but enough to have an evening's session on a return visit. We grabbed a final pint in here (the Spitfire was off, so I had to settle for a not bad pint of Master Brew)and then wended our merry ways.

Beers drunk on this visit :

1) Master Brew (3.7%) - Shepherd Neame, Faversham, Kent - A bitter, hoppy amber ale

Visits : 1st / a few previous

No comments:

Post a Comment