Friday, 31 July 2015

The George Inn

The George Inn - Thursday 30th July 2015

77 Borough High Street, Southwark, London, England SE1 1NH

I have not been out for a beer after work for quite a while, but jumped at the chance when told the meet up was going to be The George Inn, Southwark. This is a fantastic ex-coaching inn that Charles Dickens and William Shakespeare both allegedly drank in. This pub is only half of the original 17th century building, and is apparently the last galleried inn left in London. Either way it is a truly wonderful pub to drink in; it just ozzes atmosphere.

We were all due to meet at around 7pm but as I work only a short 15 minute walk from the pub I decided to try to grab a table outside a bit earlier - even at just gone 5pm it was packed. That said, I managed to grab a seat whilst I waited for my friends and colleagues to arrive.

When they got there I had already had a pint and was just about to start on my second. Due to the lack of space outside, we all wandered inside and took over one of the small snugs beside the main central bar. Whilst they offer a decent selection of food nobody partook, being more interested in the beer and other drinks available. They have a good selection of the everyday lagers and so on, with a few more exotic ones thrown in the mix, but my eyes were drawn to their six hand pumps of real ale. Not only that, but they also had an IPA (Punk IPA) on tap.

Beers drunk on this visit:

1) IPA (3.6%), Greene King, Bury St Edmunds - a good session IPA

2) George Inn Ale (4.2?%), Adnams, Southwold - a good session beer
3) Rum Runner (5.2%), Greene King, Bury St Edmunds - a rum infused tasy, but strong, ale
4) I tried a spiced ale (5%) - a very highly spiced ale (very Christmassy, like mulled wine). Unfortunately I didn't buy a pint as it was not the sort of beer I could drink much of even though it was very tasty - I was unable to get any brewery etc. details


Visits: 1st / dozens previous

No comments:

Post a Comment